Retail Security: 3 Cameras to Help Secure Your Store, Staff & Sales
Wouldn’t it be great to believe retail security was not an issue? That’s a day dream we’d all like to see come true, but we know that will never be the case, unfortunately.
With a reported 550,000 retail theft incidences happening daily across the country, it’s critical to identify a security plan that suits your unique store, theft concerns, and more. Reinforcing these concerns is that 75% of theft take place by adults, and of those adults who get caught, 57% are likely to do it again.
On top of these already concerning rates is that the US Chamber reported 75% of employees have participated in a theft based activity from their own employer. And of these 75% of employees, 37.5% have done it more than once.
Groceries, clothing, electronics and and cosmetics are considered to be the most common items stolen. But let’s face it – that is a broad range of inventory nearly every retailer overlaps into somehow. To help avoid your store from being at risk, consider introducing cameras into your store environment. Criminals know that what they are doing is wrong, therefore they look for ways to avoid getting caught. And one of the most efficient and cost effective ways to achieve this is through security cameras.
Positioning cameras outside your store will alert them to your efforts of watching what is taking place both in and outside your store before they ever even step foot into your store location. However, not all criminals are so smart – as we have learned. Once inside your store, consider how cameras being positioned in both visible and less visible spots will help you monitor theft – ultimately aiming to avoid it but should it occur, help you identify who completed the crime (for both police and your own purposes).
Often, cost keeps retail operators – especially small business owners who understandably need to consider every dollar spent – from investing in security. Yet this doesn’t have to be the case. Prices range in security cameras, but we have to be realistic with how many stores may or may not need. Less is not always more when it comes to cameras. The more is truly the merrier when it comes to shielding your store from theft – so consider how multiple cameras can help you achieve even more confidence in your store security.
Below, explore three options to help you keep your store and sales – plus, more importantly, your staff – safe from the consequences of theft.
Efficient and affordable, this exterior camera can help steer potential thefts away from your store while also giving you access to your exterior 24/7.
COST* | $139.99
- Blink Floodlight works with Outdoor to deliver a wire-free, HD smart security LED floodlight camera with up to two years of battery life.
- See, hear, and speak to visitors in real time with 1080p HD live view and two-way audio from the app.
- Choose if you want to light up the night with 700 lumens of motion-triggered, high-quality LED lights.
- Customize motion detection zones, enable alerts, and set lights to trigger from the free Blink Home Monitor app on your smartphone.
- Set up yourself in minutes — connect Outdoor to wifi and follow in-app instructions. Mount where you want with the included kit.
- Works with Alexa — use your voice to monitor your home with live view, motion alerts, and activate lights with select Alexa devices.
- Includes one Blink Outdoor camera, one floodlight mount, one Sync Module 2, one mounting bracket, two 1.5V AA lithium metal batteries, four D-Cell batteries, one mounting kit, one USB cable, one power adapter, and one right angle adapter. Opportunity to store video clips sold separately.
- Explore the camera by clicking here.
Spending even a little money can help you save a lot of money because unfortunately, theft adds up. This mini, motion censored camera does the job without breaking the bank.
COST* | $39.99
- Monitor the inside of your store day and night with this 1080P HD indoor plug-in smart security camera with motion detection and two-way audio.
- See, hear, and speak to people from your smartphone with Blink Mini’s live view and two-way audio.
- Get alerts on your smartphone whenever motion is detected or customize motion detection zones so you can see what matters most.
- Choose to save and share clips with a free 30-day trial of the Blink Subscription Plan or locally with the Sync Module 2 (sold separately).
- Set up in minutes — plug in the camera, connect it to wifi, and follow the instructions in the free Blink Home Monitor app.
- Works with Alexa — pair Blink Mini with a supported Alexa-enabled device to engage live view, arm and disarm your camera, and more using your voice.
- Include 1 Blink Mini camera (white), mounting kit including stand, USB cable, and power adapter.
- Explore the camera by clicking here.
If you have lots of corners, twists and turns in your store that you simply can’t have your staff’s eyes on at all times, this may be the perfect solution for your business. The initial investment is heavier, but the risk of theft becomes much less as more cameras are visible to potential stealers.
COST* | $2999.99
- Incorporate 32 Channels (that’s 32 cameras) via Max 8.0 Megapixel Full HD Realtime Recording with weatherproof POE H.265 IP Bullet Cameras (Built-in microphone and wide angle lens).
- Gain power over Ethernet setup that is clean and simple with a single network cable, built-P2P service and support ONVIF agreement and QR Code Scan.
- Free mobile apps allow you to watch your system from anywhere with mobile viewing for Smartphones, tablets, PC, and Macs.
- Includes wide, dynamic range & 3D DNR giving you ability to see clearly in contrast lighting environment and sharper monitoring and playback.
- Pre-installed 8TB Hard Drive with 2 Year Warranty and Free Tech Support From U.S.A.
- Explore this option here.
Finally, some of the common props thieves use to help in their theft efforts include strollers, umbrellas, large coats and even shopping bags. Incorporating policies to keep bags at the store point of sale area is one way to help reduce possible theft, but this isn’t the magic wand of avoiding it all together. Be aware of who is in your store, train your staff to be attentive whenever customers – or potential thieves – are browsing or buying, and communicate with everyone who walks into your physical environment so they know you know they are there.
We can’t assume everyone will steal, but we can assume many – unfortunately – might. Be proactive to remain profitable in your store by leveraging the power of extra eyes – aka cameras – today.